Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sunday Postcards 2

Yes I am aware it's tuesday but I bought it on sunday and... shut up.




How freaking pretty is that?! Apparently it’s from Napa County in California but it reminds me of the old south and farmlands. Big houses for big families surrounded by miles of land. I sent it to my grandmother in South Dakota. She’s in a nursing home now but the farm where she raised my mother and her four siblings is still in my family, where it’s remained for over a hundred years.

This blog is about travel. I believe that we, particularly when we’re young and physically able, need to experience every adventure the world has to offer. Experiencing different cultures and derailing negative stereotypes about one’s own culture (talking to my fellow Americans here) brings us closer together, hopefully creating a greater peace in the world. That being said, it’s important to have someplace to come home to.

My family is lucky. We have a history, a tangible, physical point that unites us. It’s true no one in the family actually lives at the farm but my aunts and uncles keep it maintained and it’s there at Christmas and thanksgiving or whenever one of the family is in need. I think it’s tied us together. A lot of people don’t have that.

Of course, home is not a location. It’s a sense of safety and belonging, or so I have found. Since I’ve been at college, I’ve felt almost homeless at times. A place to belong is a rare thing. Travel the world, children, but come home once you find where your home is.

No comments:

Post a Comment